Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Stroll Down Memory Lane

On July 2, 1990, I began working part-time for Haven of Rest Ministries by paying the bills, recording contributions, and processing payroll.  I was a new mom with a 3-month old baby girl, and the flexible hours were just what I needed.  At first I shared the corner of a desk with the ministry’s secretary in an office with 4 colors of paint on the walls (I wish I had a picture of that).  Over time I got my own desk, then my own office, and now I occupy the former kitchen at the mission.  (Look close and you’ll see counter-level outlets, protruding water pipes, a sunken place over the drain in the floor, and where a window-unit air conditioner once sat.)

I’ve gone from being the 2nd woman in the office to one of five - with three of us in the Finance Department.  Rev. Craig Neill, former Haven of Rest Executive Director and my former pastor, stated that if I would just give working for this ministry a try, it would grow on me.  Over the past 21 years I’ve admitted to him several times that he was right.   

One of the first things God showed me after coming to work here was how small my faith was.  I asked for a set of “in” and “out” boxes after I had my own desk to work at.  Preacher Neill told me to pray that one would be donated.  I did, but without any true expectation of having my request fulfilled.  The next time I came to work there was a set of these boxes on my desk as well as the secretary’s!  That was just the beginning of the marvelous workings of God that I would be privileged to witness while working here.

As often as possible I attend the graduation ceremonies held for those in our men’s and women’s program.  Each time I hear the testimony of someone who is completing our program, I am touched and convicted by their passion and enthusiasm for Christ.  It’s so rewarding to know that in a small way (paying the grocery bill, making deposits, etc.) I played a part in helping them turn to Christ.

I am now realizing how quickly time passes as the daughter I mentioned earlier (Rebecca) and my second and youngest child (Derrick) will be attending Erskine College this fall.  In looking back over the last 21 years I’ve seen how God has orchestrated different aspects of my life as well as my career.  I don’t know what the next 21 years will bring, but I’m going to hold on tight to God’s hand as I continue my journey along “Memory Lane.”

Sharon Brown
Financial Director

No comments:

Post a Comment