Thursday, January 23, 2014

By Hal White – www.blueprintforlife.com


By Hal White – www.blueprintforlife.com

 

A couple weeks ago, I met a good friend for breakfast to catch up on family, work, church, and how God is working in our lives. During our time together, he asked, “How was last year for you? How would you describe 2013?”

I must admit my response surprised me. I described the year as hectic, busy, out of control, exhausting, and full of anxiety. As I described it I thought, But this year is going to be different!

Well, here we are and things haven’t gotten easier; they have gotten tougher. The circumstances I hoped would finally be in control still feel out of control. This reminds me of a time when Jesus calmed what seemed like an out-of-control situation in Matthew 8:23-27.

“Then he [Jesus] got into the boat and his disciples followed him.  Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, ‘Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!’

He replied, ‘You of little faith, why are you so afraid?’ Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.  The men were amazed and asked, ‘What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!’”

As I recently read this story, I could relate to the disciples.  They panicked. They were afraid. They experienced despair. I was also reminded I can focus on my circumstances or on the One who controls my circumstances. While thinking about this, I wrote the following in my journal. I hope it encourages you.

Jesus was in the boat with the disciples. He is in my “boat” too. I am never alone, even in my most difficult times. He is in everything I encounter in life. This year I want to be more enamored with Christ who lives in me than overwhelmed by the circumstances that surround me.

When we trust Christ in the middle of a storm, the result is peace and tranquility. “Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves and it was completely calm” (verse 26).

So, rather than trying to jump overboard, let’s stay in our ”boats” and allow Christ to calm us in the midst of our circumstances.  I invite you to be more enamored with the One who lives in you than the circumstances that surround you.

 

 

Sid Stewart

Executive Director

864 226-6193



No comments:

Post a Comment